Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oatmeal - Golden Raisin - Chocolate Chip Cookies

The Why:

I can't remember the last time I made cookies from scratch -- I'm sure I haven't done it in this century.  It's probably been more like since the early 90s.  But for whatever reason, I've been baking up a storm lately and cookies seemed to be a logical choice.  That, and B. has been asking for cookies for a while.

I'm very impressed with myself for finally buying all of the pantry items for most baking -- flour, granulated and light and dark brown sugars, baking soda and powder, etc.  It's been decades since I've kept this kind of stuff on hand, but it really does make it easier to start baking when I don't have to make a special trip to the grosto for ingredients.

So when I decided to make cookies, I started to do just the standard chocolate chip.  But then I got to thinking that I wanted something a little different.  I happened to have some old fashioned rolled oats in the pantry -- from a year or so ago when I decided to eat oatmeal for breakfast for a while.  I also had golden raisins I'd bought to put in couscous, which I hadn't gotten around to doing yet.  And chocolate chips -- I haven't bought chocolate chips in, again, decades, and now I'd bought two bags in two weeks.  So oatmeal raisin chocolate chip it was.

The recipe is really easy, but I have to get a new hand mixer.  I bought a cheap, $7 one at Target a couple of weeks ago because I have no idea where my old one is and I like to whip my mashed potatoes with a mixer.  And it was only 7 bucks.

You get what you pay for.  I've used it a few times, so it's probably been worth the price.  But it's not a good mixer (Chefmate is the brand).  The "low" speed isn't at all.  It's WAY too fast and batter goes everywhere, even though I'm trying to contort myself to keep it in the bowl.  Plus, it is not really holding up to thick cookie batter.  I'm thinking it's either going to explode into flames, or the beaters are just going to fly off and put an eye out, or it will just die.  Soon.  So a new hand mixer is on my list.

Aside from my mixer issue, the recipe is a cinch.  The cookies bake up nicely -- they shouldn't "brown," so keep an eye on your time.  They come out warm and chewy, just like an oatmeal cookie should be.

A couple of notes:

As I mentioned, keep an eye on your time.  Most recipes I looked at before I made this one had a cooking time of 10 to 12 minutes.  That didn't work for me -- the cookies were still raw-ish.  I found on the first batch that 14 minutes is the perfect time for me.  (I set the timer for 7 minutes and rotate the pan so they cook evenly, then go another 7 minutes to finish cooking them).  The first time you try the recipe, I'd recommend starting to check for doneness at about 10 minutes, then keep an eye on them every minute or so until they're done.  It's a pain, but after the first batch you can pretty much nail the time down.

With the raisins and chocolate chips, I'm very generous.  I used a cup of each, which makes very full cookies.  You can adjust those quantities to suit your personal tastes.  Also, I used golden raisins because that's what I had on hand.  I think the taste is a little milder than regular dark raisins, and I love the chewy "pop" of the raisins in oatmeal cookies.  If you hate raisins, you can certainly leave them out.  You can substitute walnuts, or really any dried chewy fruit (e.g. dried apricots).  This is a recipe that can be played with as far as the add-ins, so have fun with it.

Finally, I always use parchment paper to line a pan when I bake.  You don't have to use it if you don't have it, but I highly recommend it.  The goodies lift right off of it -- even easier than if you use non-stick spray.  And it makes clean-up a breeze.  It's not that expensive, so I'd recommend just buying some and having it in the pantry (it's with the aluminum foil in the grosto).  A warning!  Thanks to a goofy Xmas movie I was watching the other day -- do NOT substitute wax paper for parchment paper.  They are NOT the same thing!  If you don't believe me, just try it.  Or not.

Now, on to the good stuff!

The How:


Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1.5 C. old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
¾ C. all-purpose flour
½ t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
½ t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
½ C. butter, room temperature
½ C. packed dark-brown sugar
¼ C. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 C. golden raisins
1 C. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined. Gradually add oat mixture; beat just until combined.

Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto two baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden brown but still soft, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Cool 5 minutes on sheets; transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment