Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bountiful Basket - December 4, 2010

They didn't offer a Bountiful Basket last week because of Thanksgiving, so I obviously didn't post anything for it.  We were back this week, though. 

I couldn't decide what I thought about this week's items.  For some reason, the basket seemed a little "lean" to me.  I think part of that is because I'm much more a vegetable fan than a fruit fan, and we only received 5 different vegetable items.  (There are usually 6 types of vegetables and 6 of fruit).  I read on the BB Facebook page that some sites got pears as a sub for tomatoes, which seems kind of odd, but whatever. 

We seem to be getting an extraordinary amount of apples and pears -- every single week for about the last 2 months or more.  I'm throwing out more of them than we eat, which I hate.  But seriously -- I'm not into the literal "apple a day" thing.  I'd love to see a little more variety.  (And, personally, I don't consider it "variety" when we get Gala apples one week, Braeburn apples the next week, Fuji apples the week after, etc.  They're still apples!)

Plus, although I got 5 different types of vegetables, there wasn't as much quantity as usual, it seemed.  (Our site had extra celery and lettuce they were giving away, so I grabbed an extra celery -- the basket only came with one).

Perhaps the dearth of vegetables is a reflection of the season.  It's late fall, after all, so a lot of things are out of season.  Although, a lot of our produce comes from Mexico and Cali, so I'd think the options were still pretty good.

I wasn't too upset about the tomatoes, because I'm growing my own and those are way better than anything I could buy elsewhere.  I wish there'd been another sub, though, besides yet more pears.  If I canned, I'd put up preserves.  But I don't.  Hopefully I can think of something to do with some of this fruit before another batch goes bad.

Okay, you get the point.  Here's this week's "bounty:"



9 bananas
8 Fuji apples
6 Concorde pears
3 Asian pears
6 oz. package of blackberries
1 cantaloupe
1 pineapple
2 yellow squash
2 seedless hothouse cucumbers
1 bunch of celery (plus 1 extra from our site leftovers)
1 head of leaf lettuce
1 spaghetti squash

No comments:

Post a Comment