Saturday, December 18, 2010

Blender Hollandaise

The Why:

There are a few things that I love to eat, but don't often have the patience to actually fix.  One of these things is Eggs Benedict.  And the sole reason I rarely make this at home is the hollandaise.  I've never found it that difficult to make, it just takes more time and patience than I usually have at that moment.  Probably because I'm always ravenous when I decide I want it.

A little while back, I heard the term "blender hollandaise."  At first, I was offended because I thought there was just no way to make a decent hollandaise without all the work.  But the other night, I was ravenous (again), and the 'fridge full of leftovers just weren't appealing to me.  I wanted eggs.  Plus, I had some of the very thin-sliced ribeye from Lee Lee's that I'd bought for pho.  It was almost 2 pounds, though, so I figure I could spare a few ounces for some steak 'n eggs benedict.  There was just my mental block against the sauce thing.

I remembered the blender hollandaise, and decided I'd just give it a shot.  I was very pleasantly surprised, too!  The sauce took, literally, about 2 minutes to make and it was actually quite good -- smooth, rich, creamy . . . just as a hollandaise should be.  I may never make it the "real" way again.

A couple of notes:

Some people have an aversion, if not down-right phobia, of being in the vicinity of raw or undercooked eggs.  I've never been one to worry about that much -- even eating a raw egg on top of my Crepe Complet in Paris (the one in France, not the one in Tennessee) on more than one occasion.  The actual risk of salmonella is so small that I just don't even usually think about it.  Plus, the eggs in this sauce aren't exactly raw.  They're mixed with melted butter that should be very hot, which raises the temperature of the eggs.  Also, the addition of lemon juice as the acidic component helps "cook" the eggs in the sense of killing off harmful bacteria that may be present.

You'll have to judge for yourself if you want to try this recipe.  I know people who won't eat hollandaise at all, ever, because of the fear of food poisoning.  I just wouldn't want to miss the deliciousness out of fear.  But, hey, I've eaten raw sushi at least 200 times and I've never, ever been sick from it (knock on wood).  Nor has hollandaise ever gotten me down.

I would recommend, though, that you use the freshest eggs you can find -- don't use the ones that are 2 weeks past their recommended "use by" date.  I say this, in truth, less out of bacterial fear than out of a desire to have the best-tasting eggs possible in my sauce.  Eggs are the huge component, so if their flavor isn't stellar, you'll know it.

As I said above, the butter should be melted, and very hot.  The heat helps "cook" the eggs.  And when you're adding the butter to the blender, make sure you do it in a thin, steady stream.  Don't just dump the whole thing of butter in there, or your eggs may curdle.

Finally, my recipe uses a little Dijon mustard in it, because I'm a huge Dijon fan.  If you're not, you can eliminate it or substitute something else.  If you find your sauce is too thick, add another teaspoon of lemon juice -- or even if you just really like lemon.  The same goes for the hot sauce, as well -- but trust me, the small amount of hot sauce you'll add will not make you sweat or even need another sip of your bloody Mary.  I think it just adds another, subtle level of flavor.  But, again, you have to eat it, so adjust it to your liking.

(The photo is Steak and Eggs Benedict with Blender Hollandaise and I used cheese grit-cakes instead of the traditional English muffin).

Now, on to the good stuff!

The How:


Blender Hollandaise

3 egg yolks
¼ t. Dijon mustard
1 T. lemon juice
1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
½ C. butter

In the container of a blender, combine the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Cover, and blend for about 20 to 30 seconds.

Place the butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup (or some other cup with a pouring spout). Heat the butter in the microwave for about 1 to 1.5 minutes, or until completely melted and hot.

Set the blender on high speed, and pour the butter into the egg yolk mixture in a thin, steady stream. It should thicken almost immediately. Keep the sauce warm until serving by placing the blender container in a pan of hot tap water.

No comments:

Post a Comment