Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Caprese "Bruschetta"

The Why:

With Dave the Garden Guy's stamp of approval, I decided to set out some tomato plants this year.  Arizona has pretty much a year-round growing season, so I thought I'd take advantage of that and grow one of my favorites -- and tomatoes, like most other produce, are always better fresh off the vine.

I set out most of my tomatoes in September.  I'd originally planned to put them in raised garden beds, but I decided instead to put them in containers so I could move them around.  I'm really glad I did that.

First, the vegetables in my raised beds just aren't producing like I'd hoped, and I think that's due primarily to the light situation in the back yard.  I really was hoping there would be enough sun coming through, but I just don't think that's the case.  Don't get me wrong -- I love the great big shady trees in our lush neighborhood, but those same gigantic trees are not conducive to growing sun-loving vegetables out back.  Next year, I may try to move them elsewhere, if I can find space, and try again.

The tomatoes, however, have been thriving.  I put those containers on the front patio, which gets much more sun than the back, and the tomato plants have been doing beautifully.  I haven't counted lately, but I know there are at least 50 to 60+ tomatoes in various stages on the vines.  I've only harvested 2 red ones and 2 yellow pears so far, but they're starting to ripen up now.  I have 3, maybe 4, that are thisclose to ready, and a whole lot more on the way.

We had a few nail-biter times.  Shortly after I set them out, we had a period of record heat.  It was near 110 everyday for a while -- in mid to late September!  But they, literally, weathered the heat.  Then, as if record heat wasn't enough, we had a spell of record cold at night.  It's uncommon for it to hit in the 30s here, especially so early in the season, but yep -- more records.  We were hauling all 10 tomato plants, plus my jalapeno and serrano pepper plants, and my herb boxes into the garage at night, then hauling them back out in the morning.  We did this several times.  It was a pain, but I was determined to not lose all of those tomato plants!  And it worked, because they're still doing very well.

I LOVE being able to just walk out and pick a tomato off -- and they even smell like tomatoes.  I made this comment on Facebook and a friend asked, "Well, what else would it smell like?"  The ones in the grosto don't really smell like anything at all -- and it's been a long time since I've smelled a tomato that actually does smell like a tomato. 

And that first one was delicious!

I sliced it and made a caprese "bruschetta" out of it.  It's not a traditional bruschetta in that the tomatoes are not chopped up and mixed with the other seasonings.  It's more of a caprese on grilled bread kind of thing.  But SO good whatever it's called!  This is fabulous as a snack or an appetizer -- even a light meal!

I recommend using the freshest tomatoes you can find -- I think that really makes this dish.  If you can find any at the farmers market still, I'd say go with those if you don't grow your own.  The fresh tomato makes this rock!

Now, on to the good stuff!




The How:

Note:  I don't have quantities included.  Just decide how many pieces you want to serve per person, and go from there.  One tomato will serve about 2 to 3 people, depending on its size and how many pieces you allot per person.

Fresh tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella cut into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
Fresh basil leaves
Sliced bread -- ciabatta or Italian or your favorite crusty bread
EVOO
Good balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

 Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.  Drizzle each slice of bread with a little EVOO.  Put a slice of mozzarella on each piece of bread, then top with a fresh basil leaf or two, then top with a tomato slice.  Drizzle a little more EVOO and a little balsamic vinegar over each piece.  (I usually just drizzle these over separately, but if you prefer, you can mix the vinegar and oil together in a separate bowl and then drizzle over the tomatoes).  Sprinkle sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Place each piece on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Bake for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the cheese melts and starts to bubble.

** As an alternative, if you don't like your tomatoes cooked or warm, make the pieces as above through the mozzarella step.  Bake the bread and cheese, then top with the fresh basil, tomato, and EVOO / vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment