Thursday, November 11, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic – Honey Glaze

The Why:

I was one of those odd kids who actually liked brussels sprouts, even though my mom -- as did many -- cooked them practically to death. This is the second or third time I've gotten them in my Bountiful Basket. My favorite way to cook them is oven roasting, usually very simply with just a little EVOO, fresh garlic, salt and pepper, and sprinkled with a little fresh grated parmesan when they come out of the oven.

However, I've lately discovered the fabulous raw local honeys at our farmers markets and I've become rather addicted. I've cooked the sprouts before with a little balsamic, and I thought that combining the raw honey with the slightly sweet acidity of the balsamic and the rich saltiness of pancetta would just be outstanding with the bitterness of the sprouts.

I was right! I absolutely loved how they turned out -- crispy outside, tender inside, with that lovely sweet-salty glaze from the balsamic-honey and the pancetta. I'm not ashamed to say that I ate several just standing at the stove after they came out of the oven!

Sorry I don't have a photo to share with you this time, but I'll definitely be making these again, so I'll get one next time.

I used 15 sprouts because that's what I got in the basket, but you can adjust the number based on how many you have / want. The other recipe amounts should still be fine for anywhere from 12 to 20 medium-sized brussels sprouts.

The How:

15 Brussels sprouts, halved
6 oz pancetta, cubed (I buy the little pancetta cubes from Trader Joe’s
2 to 3 T of good balsamic vinegar
2 T of raw local honey (you can sub a good quality organic honey if you can't find local)
1 T EVOO
4 or 5 whole, peeled garlic cloves

In a large skillet, sauté pancetta in EVOO over medium heat until it starts to crisp. Add garlic cloves and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and honey to the pan and stir until blended and honey is melted. Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.

Pour the mixture from the skillet onto a foil-lined pan (or you can just stick the skillet in the oven, if it’s oven-proof). Roast at 425 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes, until Brussels sprouts reach the desired level of caramelization. (My preference is to have some of the outer leaves crispy while the inside is tender and somewhat soft, but not mushy, so I cooked mine on the longer side time-wise).

Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment