Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bountiful Basket - November 20, 2010


This week is sort of an example of the ups and downs of having someone else in control of what you get in your basket.  I still think it's fun to get the surprise each week, and for the money, it's an economical bit of fun.  But, of course I'd make different choices on some things, if it were me in charge of it.  Probably a good thing I'm not!  

The only vegetable I can think of that I really don't like is green bell peppers.  I got 3 today.  They usually just wind up in the trash, but I'm really going to try to use at least one or two.  I'm thinking I could just chop it very fine and throw it into a soup or casserole.  Some dish where I won't really have to taste them.  Green peppers, blech.

And 11 radishes??!!  I can't even remember the last time I had a radish.  I don't have anything against them -- it's just not a vegetable I usually buy.  Hopefully, I can get some ideas online for how to use at least some of them (besides the ubiquitous salad fixin').  11 of them, though.  That's a lot of raddi.

I was glad to see onions and celery.  I'm thinking about trying to make real cornbread dressing like Mama used to make (SO good!), and I'll need onions and celery for that.

And what is with all the pears?  We've gotten pears every week for probably the last 6 weeks, and they're everywhere.  We like pears just fine, but I must have two dozen or more sitting on the counter.  Same with apples -- but even more so!  I realize apples and pears are much cheaper this time of year, but every single week?  If I could get motivated, I could process a batch of apple sauce.  I'll work on that whole motivation thing.  Tomorrow.


So, here we go . . . this week's Bountiful Basket:

 

11 radishes
8 red potatoes
3 yellow onions
3 tomatoes
3 green bell beppers (yuck!)
1 head of leaf lettuce
1 bunch of celery
9 bananas
8 navel oranges
8 tangeriens
7 Braeburn apples
7 Concorde pears
1 honeydew melon

Add-on:  Ciabatta bread - 5 loaves ($10)

No comments:

Post a Comment